Name Changes

Filing for a Name Change

You must file for a change of name in the county where you live. It is necessary for the person changing his or her name to have lived in the State of Minnesota for at least six months. You will need to have two adult witnesses that reside in the State of Minnesota and have known the person changing his or her name for a minimum of one year. Both biological parents must consent to a name change for a minor child.

For additional information visit the Self Help Center on the Minnesota Judicial Branch website or visit the Anoka County Law Library.

Filing Fees

A civil filing fee must be paid at the time of filing. You will need a certified copy of the Order Granting Name Change to change your driver's license and your Social Security card. Certified copies may be purchased after the hearing if the order for name change has been signed by the judge. View the cost for a certified copy.

Upon filing your documents you will be notified of the court file number. You will proceed to contact the Assignment Office at 763-760-6575 to obtain a hearing date.

Special Notes & Exceptions

If you have been convicted of a felony in Minnesota or any other state, you must report your name change to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) within 10 days of the court's order granting your application. Failure to do so is a gross misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a fine of up to $3,000.


A minor, 14 years of age or older, requesting a change of name, must be present at hearing.
You may use one relative as a witness to a name change.
If the parents are witnesses for a minor child, there must be one additional adult to serve as the second witness.

If you do not know the whereabouts of the other biological parent, it will be necessary to follow these steps before the child's name can be changed:

  • Send a letter by certified mail to the last known address or in care of a relative notifying them of the intent to change the child's name.
  • If there is no response, you will need to publish a notice of intent to change the child's name in a legal newspaper, for example the Tribune, Anoka Union, ABC, etc. It is advisable to seek the advice of an attorney in these matters.

Any additional questions regarding publication or the hearing may be directed to the Court Administrator's Office at 763-760-6810. To change the name of a child born out of wedlock when the biological parents have been married, contact the Minnesota Department of Health at 651-201-5961.