Born 1935 & After
You can purchase a certified birth record for anyone born in Minnesota in 1935 or after at the Vital Statistics office in the Government Center in Anoka and all License Centers.
Born Before 1935
To obtain a certified record for births recorded in Anoka County before 1935, you will need to go to the Government Center Vital Statistics office.
In order to obtain a certified birth record, you must show that you have a tangible interest (PDF) in the record.
- Certified Birth (1935 and after) Records can be purchased at the Government Center Vital Statistics office in the Government Center in Anoka or at all License Centers. Submit a completed Minnesota Birth Record application form (PDF), the required identification, and the required fee.
- In some cases it may also be necessary to submit a Statement to Identify Certified Birth or Death Record Applicant (PDF)
By mail or fax:
- Fill out a Minnesota Birth Record application form, have your signature verified by a Notary Public
- Mail or fax the form(s), along with the required fee, to the Government Center Vital Statistics Office
For birth records, download the Minnesota Birth Record application form, print it, and fill it out. You can also pick up the application form at the Government Center Vital Statistics office or at any License Center or request that the application form be sent to you.
In some cases, you may need someone to fill out the Statement to Identify Certified Birth or Death Certificate Applicant form.
The following documents must be accepted as meeting the requirements, unless the document has been altered or changed, or there is evidence of fraud on the face of the document.
- Unexpired picture driver's license of a U.S state or territory
- Unexpired picture identification card of a U.S state or territory
- Unexpired U.S federal, state, or local government employee picture ID
- Unexpired FAA aircraft pilot's license
- Unexpired U.S military picture ID
- Unexpired U.S passport
- $26 First Certified Birth Record (effective July 1, 2010)
- $19 Each additional Birth Record of the same record issued at the same time (effective July 1, 2010)