- Tell us about the featured book. What is it about, and why did you choose to write this story?
A Twist of Fae is the second book in the Finding Fae Trilogy (book 3 is in process). It continues Eevee's journey after a bit of a time jump from book 1. In this installment, Eevee, who found out in book 1 that she is fae, knows where her birth parents are, but if she wants to meet them she'll have to save them. She struggles with trusting herself and others, and finds that even when things seem dire, she still has the power of choice. I was inspired to write this book (and Finding Fae) by a couple factors: my desire to have a main character who is adopted, and my love of fantasy.
- Tell us a little about your writing process. What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book? What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
My writing process looks like a lot of "not" writing at first. I spend a few months (anywhere from three to six) planning, plotting, and researching. A fair amount of that time is spent talking my husband's ear off regarding characters and plot points. Once I have a solid idea of where I want the story to go, then it's another three to six months of writing, revising, editing, sending it to my editor, and editing and revising some more. For me, the most difficult part of the process is in the middle of writing. I always feel like I slow down and lose steam at that point!
- Are there any writers or authors who have influenced your writing? If not, who are some of your favorite writers?
I honestly have so many writers I love, and so this question is hard for me to answer. I'll stick to my default: J.R.R. Tolkien has always been an inspiration to me.
- What inspired you to start writing? What is your favorite place to go for inspiration and/or your favorite place to write?
My love of reading inspired my desire to write. I was writing from a young age, and by the time I turned 13, I started dreaming about publishing my writing someday. When it comes to my favorite place to write, that would be at my parents' cabin, closely followed by writing at a coffee shop.
- When you’re not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?
When I'm not writing, I'm staying busy with my family. We love to go to zoos, museums, and state/local parks. I also enjoy seeing friends, playing Dungeons and Dragons, baking cakes and cupcakes, taking my dog on walks, and teaching.
- Favorite place to visit in Minnesota?
There are so many great places to check out in Minnesota! I think my current favorites are the Como Zoo and the Science Museum. I can spend hours at both with my kids and husband.
- Where can readers find you online?