Adult Foster Care

How Can We Help {collapse}

  1. Eligibility for Adult Foster Care (AFC) Services:

    Adult Foster Care provides a residential option to help individuals stay in their home community when they cannot safely live alone.

    Adult Foster Care is for adults 18 or older, who have been assessed by a county case manager, to be physically, emotionally, or intellectually challenged, or have ongoing mental health issues and require basic support and assistance.

    Individuals Who May Qualify

    • Adults ages 18 or older, who agree to placement in an adult foster care home where they are treated as part of a family
    • Adults capable of living in the community safely without the need for 24 hour direct care and supervision
    • Need help with everyday personal care and are willing to accept assistance
    • Do not require hospitalization or nursing home care or care in another type of medical or psychiatric facility
    • Are recommended for placement by a county social worker or public health nurse through an assessment process
    • Cooperates with taking prescribed medications
    • Are recovering from chemical dependency but have had one year or greater of sobriety and consistently follow their recovery plan
    • Do not display suicidal or homicidal tendencies, or exhibit violent or aggressive behavior that cannot be supported by the licensed family in a foster home setting
    • Have a source of payment for care: private resources such as SSI, RSDI, wages from employment or Medical Assistance and Housing Support funding through the State of MN

    For more information about eligibility, contact your county case manager. If there is no case manager, but the individual has support needs - contact your county's Long Term Services and Supports to discuss the need for a MNChoice Assessment. For Anoka County residents visit our site, or call 763-324-1450. 

  2. Where/ Who Can Offer AFC Services:

    • Adult Foster Care services can be provided in single family homes, duplexes, townhomes or apartments
    • Family AFC providers must be licensed by the Anoka County AFC Licensing Unit as delegated by the State of MN - Department of Human Services (DHS) Licensing Department.
    • Per Rule - AFC families cannot provide paid foster care services to family members or relatives
    • Homes must have extra private bedroom space available to accommodate an adult
    • These licensed homes are inspected annually and are relicensed on an annual or every two-year cycle for health and safety concerns
  3. Accessing AFC Services in Anoka County:

    • Individuals wanting to learn more about Adult Foster Care services should contact their county case manager who will assist in determining service eligibility, payment and the referral process
    • The AFC Licensing Social Workers are available to assist county case managers with information of eligibility, responsibilities, payment and identification of potential AFC families through the county's Case Manager Referral Process
    • County Case Managers should contact the Anoka County AFC Unit at 763-324-1230, option 2 for referral assistance

    Before Placement:

    • Individuals should have "informed choice" when determining the best residential placement options for themselves
    • Pre-placement visits in AFC homes and face to face meetings with providers/families are critical to ensure good placement "matches"
      • These pre-placement visits can also include meeting for coffee or during other social/recreational activities
    • Case managers must arrange for the individual to have a physical exam, within 30 days prior or three days after placement. The exam must document that the individual is free of communicable/contagious disease. If coming from a health care facility, a physical transfer summary satisfies this requirement.
    • Case managers are responsible for completing an initial individual resident placement agreement to specify service needs for the first 30–45 days
    • Case managers must ensure that foster care providers are aware of and arrange for training in the use of any required medical equipment.
    • Individual who may have a certified service/support animal must disclose the type of support animal and is responsible for the health, vaccinations and supervision of the support animal
  4. Information for County Residents Interested in Providing AFC:

    Anoka County is not accepting applications for new Family Adult Foster Care Providers at this time. No informational meetings have been scheduled.

    If a family is licensed in another MN county and is planning a move to Anoka County - contact the AFC Unit for more information. Current residents of family foster homes cannot be moved outside their home county without county case manager and team approval.

    The county evaluates prospective homes and recommends licenses for those that meet state standards, monitors providers for compliance, and supports quality foster homes for adults.

    Besides providing a bedroom and meals, AFC providers also supervise and help with personal care such as dressing and bathing, assist with or provide laundry services, help with medication and medical care and appointments, budgeting, transportation, community activities and other tasks as identified in the resident's care plan. AFC providers may also support attendance at day programming, work or school. Providers should encourage self-reliance, yet help when assistance or training is needed.

  5. Licensing Requirements

    Before a licensing recommendation to provide AFC services can be submitted to the MN Department of Human Services (DHS) Licensing Division, several actions need to be completed. The process from application to approved license takes about 4 months. More information on MN Rules governing AFC can be found at


    • Must be at least 18 years of age
    • Attend an informational session (currently none are scheduled)
    • Complete a MN Department of Human Services Licensing application form and supplemental application
    • Once an application is accepted and assigned to a licensing social worker, then the applicant must:
      • Pay for and pass a criminal background check for all household members 13 years of age and older
      • Provide personal references
      • Complete social history interviews (for all household members)
      • Develop policies for the home to ensure resident's safety and rights are protected
      • Agree to abide by state laws and county policies regulating adult foster care


    • Rent or own a home or apartment in Anoka County and live in the home full-time
    • Has bedroom space in the home to accommodate AFC resident(s) as well as family members
      • AFC residents must have access to the primary living spaces (living room, kitchen) and cannot be separated by locked doors
      • Homes for residents with accessibility needs must have resident bedrooms "on-grade" for fire escape
      • Passes Minnesota Home Fire Inspection (which has a fee of $50). Anoka County staff will help you prepare an inspection request. For the MN Statute of fire inspection requirements visit the State Statutes listing or the State Fire Marshal site.
      • If the home is on a private well: Water testing must be completed once before licensing and done on a yearly basis thereafter to ensure the water/well is clean and healthy
      • Meets Adult Foster Care Program home safety and policy requirements - such as having emergency plans, a home telephone, first aid kit, a fire extinguisher, etc.
      • License capacity is determined by available bedroom space and applicant's experience and ability to meet the residents primary support needs


    • Each applicant and co-applicant must attend licensing orientation and placement training provided by the agency.
    • Each applicant and co-applicant must complete 12 hours of annual training the first five years and six hours of training annually thereafter.
      • Those AFC family providers who apply for and receive a separate 245D license report their minimum of 25 hours of training per year to their DHS/DSD 245D Licensing worker.

    How Providers are Paid

    • All providers receive base payment for the room, board, and supervision they provide residents. Providers may receive additional payment for other services they provide each resident not receiving waivered services (often referred to as the difficulty of care rate). Providers can also receive payment from the residents themselves, when residents receive earned income or public assistance. Residents can keep a personal needs allowance and the rest goes toward the cost of their care.
    • Adult foster care providers can receive payments for specific services through waivered services programs if they hold a 245D license from the State of MN. If you intend to serve disabled persons under 55 who are on a waiver, providers must apply to the Minnesota Department of Human Services for a Home and Community-Based Services (also known as HCBS or 245D) program license. There is a fee for this license set by the state. If you intend to serve vulnerable adults over 55, license holders need to enroll as a provider to accept elderly waiver supplemental funding through the Minnesota Department of Health.

  6. Current Provider Information

    Operating an adult foster care home involves regulation and attention to business details spelled out in state statute or rule. County licensing staff can help you understand the requirements, but you have the ultimate responsibility to operate your home according to the rules of your license.

    Besides providing a bedroom and meals, AFC providers also supervise and help with personal care, assist with or provide laundry services, help with medications and medical care and appointments, budgeting, transportation, community activities or other tasks as identified in the resident's care plan. AFC families may also support attendance at day programming, work, or school. AFC families will ensure the individuals basic rights are protected.

     Providers maintain their licenses by working with Anoka County to:

    • Maintain safety and certain physical conditions in the home
    • Complete required annual relicensing paperwork, home safety reviews, and training hours
      • Required documents for annual and relicensing visits will be sent via email or U.S. mail approximately 8 weeks before your license is set to expire and a meeting with your Licensing Social Worker should be scheduled at least 4 weeks before the license expiration date. 
      • In-person, in-home meetings are required to renew your AFC license.
    • Cooperate in making sure residents are a good match for the home.
    • Provide quality care, supervision and support to the individuals placed in your home
    • As needed, ask for support and participate in problem-solving.
    • Cooperate with investigations of alleged license violations.
    • Learn and follow relevant rules and laws governing adult foster care services including any rule changes
    • Follow orders of the State of Minnesota, including orders for correcting license problems or violations

    Required Reporting

    You must report the following to your Anoka County licensing social worker:

    • Within five calendar days of any change in the regular membership of the household or caregiver's employment status
    • Within 24 hours after a fire, storm, or other damage
    • Within 24 hours of the start of repair or remodeling that requires a building permit
    • Immediately after any serious injury or death of a resident. Serious injury means an injury that requires treatment by a doctor
    • Within 24 hours of a change in health status of a caregiver that could affect the ability of the caregiver to care for a resident
    • Immediately after a resident, caregiver or household member is diagnosed with a communicable disease
    • At least 30 days before the involuntary discharge of a resident who does not have an individual service plan or 60 days for residents receive a waivered service
    • Within seven days after the transfer or voluntary discharge of a resident

    Mistreatment and serious injury/ death reporting

    If you witness or suspect that a resident is being maltreated, (abused or neglected), you must call the MN Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC) line at 844-880-1574.

    Also, complete an incident report form and send it to your licensing social worker and inform the case manager and guardian.

    If a resident is intellectually delayed, has mental health issues, or is elderly, you must report any serious injury or death to the department of Human Services Office of the Ombudsman (651-757-1800 or 1-800-657-3506) as well as the case manager, guardian and your county licensor.

    File a report to the Ombudsman online or reports can be faxed to 651-797-1950.

  7. Information for Corporate CRS Providers Licensed in Anoka County:

    Corporate homes, referred to as Corporate Residential Settings (CRS), are residential settings where the license holder does not reside in the home. Residents can receive services either from the corporation licensed to operate the home, or from another licensed service provider. Most Anoka County residents in corporate adult foster care have pre-qualified for waivered services funding to pay for residential support services.

    Case managers are required to assist with locating and placing individuals and for authorizing the funding source for these services.

    Corporate providers holding a CRS license in Anoka County can contact their Licensing Social Worker directly or call 763-324-1230, option 2 for assistance. 

  8. County Process for Opening New Corporate Sites (CRS services)

    The state has imposed a moratorium on the growth of corporate foster care. The moratorium created a statewide capacity on the number of "beds" available. There may be an exception that allows for a new corporate adult foster care/CRS home for individuals who meet specific eligibility criteria.

    • Individuals who, with case management support, can show there are no residential services/CRS sites that are willing and able to meet the individual's unique medical or behavioral needs
    • Individuals with a hospital level of care (CAC or BI-NB waivers) requesting to move into the community
    • Settings that require MN Statute 144D housing with services registration (80% or more of the residents are age 55 or older)
    • Closure of a nursing facility, ICF/DD, regional treatment center, or due to restructuring of state-operated facilities and closure plans in place
    • Those transitioning out of Minnesota State Security Hospital
    • Those transitioning out of Anoka Regional Treatment Center

    For more information on the moratorium and exceptions visit the state site.

  9. Concerns from Community Members

    Adult Foster Care consists of qualified caregivers who provide housing, meals, supervision and services based on the individual needs of a resident. Adults who live in adult foster care have chosen this kind of housing due to physical, emotional, intellectual, or mental health reasons. State law protects these adults from any type of mistreatment.

    If you witness or suspect that a resident of a licensed adult foster home in Anoka County is being abused or neglected, call the MN Adult Abuse Reporting Center at 844-880-1574 (toll free).

    If you are concerned about something other than mistreatment, call the Anoka County Adult Protection Line at 763-324-1410 or the Adult Foster Care Unit at 763-324-1408. Be prepared to give the address of the home and, if you have it, the name of the person who operates the adult foster care home.