Adult Protection / Vulnerable Adults

Elderly Abuse Hotline

Adult Protection

Adult Protection is a federally mandated service in which social workers investigate allegations of maltreatment, and arrange services to help assure the safety of Vulnerable Adults in Anoka County.

Anoka County Adult Protection Prioritization Guidelines

Vulnerable Adults

A Vulnerable Adult is anyone 18 years of age or older that:

  • Lives in a facility such as a nursing home, assisted living, or adult foster care
  • Receives licensed services in their home such as nursing visits
  • Has a physical or mental dysfunction that impairs their ability to care for themselves, and protect themselves from maltreatment


County social workers investigate reports of maltreatment. These include:

  • Physical Abuse: slapping, hitting, kicking, punching, pinching, etc.
  • Sexual Abuse: inappropriate touching, fondling, forcible sex
  • Emotional Abuse: yelling, harassing, threatening, put-downs, name calling, isolation
  • Caregiver Neglect: a caregiver not supplying adequate food, clothing, shelter, medical services or supervision
  • Self-Neglect: a person living in uninhabitable conditions, not attending to medical needs, not taking medication correctly, etc.
  • Financial Exploitation: spending a Vulnerable Adult’s funds without permission, taking their Social Security checks, abusing Power of Attorney, and not providing for the Vulnerable Adult’s needs.

Reporting Maltreatment

Mandated reporters such as persons in medical occupations, social services, education, law enforcement and caregivers for Vulnerable Adults are required to report known or suspected maltreatment. All other persons are voluntary reporters. The Minnesota Vulnerable Adults Act provides immunity from civil and criminal liability when a report is submitted in good faith. The identity of the reporter is always kept confidential.

Be prepared to report the following:

  • What happened or is happening?
  • To whom did it happen?
  • When did it happen?
  • Where did it happen?
  • Who is responsible for the abuse, exploitation, or neglect?

To make a report, please contact the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center state-wide common entry point at 844-880-1574. Website access for mandated reporters at the Minnesota state website.

Anoka County Adult Protection