Temporary Food Stands, Food Trucks & Food Carts

Outdoor dining in some county-owned right-of-way

All outdoor dining must be removed by Nov. 2, 2020 and the right-of-way returned to its preexisting conditions.

Follow these steps to operate an outdoor dining area:

  1. Reach out to your local municipality first and discuss their needs or plans. 
  2. Reach out to Anoka County Highway Permits Department to begin the permitting process (/342)
  3. Once approved by Anoka County, with support of the municipality, applicants will set up and maintain their proposed dining area per the provisions of the permit.

Food Trucks on county property

A special use permit is required for all food trucks. Call Jacquel Hajder, Anoka County Economic Development Specialist, at 763-324-4609 or email for details on applying for a permit.

Food truck owners must be residents or have businesses in Anoka County to apply for use of county-owned property. Permits will be issued for a maximum of two consecutive days for any single location unless city regulations prescribe a shorter time period. If no approved applicant is on the waiting list following the expiration of the permit, it can be renewed for 2 additional days up to a maximum of 10 days.

Approved locations: 

  • Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park
  • Rice Creek Chain of Lakes Park Reserve
  • Bunker Hills Regional Park campground
  • Lake George Regional Park
  • Crooked Lake Library
  • St. Francis Library
  • East Central Regional Juvenile Center
  • Anoka County Sheriff’s Office parking lot
  • View all in PDF

All temporary food stands, food trucks and food carts must be licensed in Anoka County.  See below to find out what type of licence you need to operate in Anoka County.  

Food items that DO NOT require a license to sell include:

Food Service License Decision Tree

10 Day Temporary Food Stands

This license is for people operating a food stand for 10 days or less such as with a carnival.  

The following are required to obtain a license:

  • Complete the 10-Day Temporary Food Stand Application.
  • Submit the application and applicable license fee in person to the department at least 14 days before the event.
  • Please be aware that license fees have been set for ALL nonprofit organizations per event, this includes all City sanctioned events. Please call Environmental Services for the appropriate fee for your event.
  • Please contact the city you plan to operate in for any additional requirements.  

21 Day Mobile Food Units

As of January 1, 2018, Anoka County will be requiring all temporary food trucks and trailers to obtain an Anoka County license. 

The following are required to obtain a license:

The Temporary Food Truck/Trailer License allows the operation within Anoka County for 21 days or less during the licensing year. Please be aware that reciprocity agreements that have been used in previous licensing years are no longer valid. A license must be obtained. To be eligible for this license each licensee must hold a valid annual license through the Minnesota Department of Health or another agency. Please call 763-324-4260 for licensing questions. Please contact the city you plan to operate in for any additional requirements.  


Greening Your Event

Events can be a ton of fun, but they can also create a ton of waste.  Need help greening your event?  Find resources to reduce waste and recycle more.  At no charge, Anoka County staff can provide non-regulatory technical assistance to minimize waste and recycle as much as possible in your operations.