Dissolution of Marriage

In a divorce action, the person seeking the divorce (petitioner) will have a Summons and Petition for Dissolution of Marriage prepared, usually by an attorney. This must be served on the respondent personally. A substitute service is not permitted.

If the petitioner requests the Sheriff's Office to serve this process, the original summons and a copy of the Summons and Petition for service should be provided to the Sheriff's Office.

Following service, the Sheriff's Office will return the original and a Certificate of Service to the petitioner, who must file the documents with the Court Administrator.

The Sheriff's Office charges a fee for this service.