Welcome to the 2021 Construction Weekly Update!
Thank you for joining us again for the 2021 Construction Season!
The Construction Weekly is published weekly during the construction season and includes details about current construction projects happening throughout Anoka County. Please subscribe to email notifications of these updates by using our Notify Me.
Stay safe and stay healthy!
Our Passion is Your Safe Way Home
2021 Construction Projects
Update for Week Ending June 18, 2021
Project improvements include reconstruction of Foley Boulevard, from a 4-lane undivided roadway to a 4-lane divided roadway with turn lanes and multi-use trail, with an overpass at the Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) Railroad tracks. The project will improve public safety and reduce traffic congestion on CSAH 11 by constructing the bridge over the BNSF railway. This project is scheduled to be completed by October 2022.
This week: The contractor started to remove trees & stumps in the new Foley alignment, between the railroad tracks and East River Road.
Next week: The contractor shall remove all unsuitable material in the new Foley alignment, between the railroad tracks and East River Road.
Main Street/125th Avenue (CSAH 14) - Flashing Yellow Arrow (FYA) Conversion Project
The project includes FYA signal system modifications at nine (9) intersections along CSAH 14. When contractors are working at each specific intersection, that signal will be put in all-way flash. Expect delays. The intersections include:
- 125th Avenue and Oak Park Boulevard/Polk Street
- 125th Avenue and Jefferson Street
- Main Street/125th Avenue and CSAH 51 (University Avenue)
- Main Street and Foley Boulevard
- Main Street and Avocet Street
- Main Street and CSAH 78 (Hanson Boulevard)
- Main Street and Shenandoah Boulevard
- Main Street and CSAH 18 (Coon Creek Boulevard)
- Main Street and Northdale Boulevard
NO NEW UPDATE - The contractor continues to install new four light signal heads to allow for left turn movements when there is a flashing yellow arrow. Please expect traffic delays in this area due to flashing red lights during the hours of 9 am to 3 pm. The project is anticipated to be complete by mid-summer, 2021.
Birch Street (CSAH 34) from Hokah Drive to 550 feet east of West Shadow Lake Drive
CSAH 34 will be reconstructed as a 2-lane, urban section with shoulders, turn lanes, curb and gutter, median, drainage system improvements and ADA enhancements. The project includes the construction of two roundabouts, one located at Tomahawk Trail and one located at West Shadow Lake Drive.
Install advance notice of construction
Tree removal (clear & grub)
Construct infiltration basin (pond)
Maintain 2-way traffic; access to residents and school shall be maintained at all times
Construct storm sewer, watermain on westbound CSAH 34
Construct the north half of each roundabout
Westbound traffic will have a detour
Eastbound traffic will be allowed
Construct storm sewer on eastbound CSAH 34
Construct the south half of each roundabout
Eastbound traffic will have a detour
Westbound traffic will be allowed
Construct sidewalk and bituminous trail
Construct the east and west ends of the project to tie the new road into the existing road
Eastbound & Westbound lanes open to traffic
This Week: The contractor connected the new watermain with the existing watermain, reclaimed the existing road, stockpiled the reclaim gravel, installed storm sewer, and started to prep the subbase below the new Birch Street alignment.
Next week: The contractor will continue to prep the subbase, install new storm sewer, and grade the east entrance to the school.
This project will reconfigure this intersection to accommodate the additional width necessary for vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Changes are intended to fix the geometric constraints that prevent the intersection from operating at maximum capacity. Pedestrian enhancements are also proposed as part of the construction work.
This Week: The contractor continued to install storm sewer on the west side of TH 47, prepared to install the new bridge deck over the Oxbow Bridge, and install new signal bases.
This Week: The contractor plans on installing class 5 gravel on the west side of TH 47, install the new deck on the Oxbow Bridge, and possibly install curb and gutter on southbound TH 47.
2021 County-Wide Maintenance and Resurfacing Projects
The following road segments have selected to be included in the 2021 program and will have the pavement replaced in order to provide a smoother ride and longer-lasting road.
- 7th Avenue (CSAH 7) - Buchanan Street to 600' North of 38th Lane - This project is an 1-1/2” Mill and Overlay. Completion is scheduled for the end of June.
- 85th Avenue NE (CSAH 32) - Hwy 65 to Hwy 10 - This project is a mill and overlay and is scheduled for early August.
- 109th Avenue NE (CSAH 12) - Flanders Court NE to Lexington Avenue (CSAH 17) - This project is a reclaim and overlay, scheduled for the end of August / beginning of September.
- 181st Ave NW (CSAH 58) - Round Lake Blvd (CSAH 9) to Hanson Blvd (CSAH 78) - This project is a reclaim and overlay and is scheduled to start mid-September.
- 217th Ave NE/Fawn Lake Drive NE (CSAH 74) - Durant St to Viking Blvd (CSAH 22) - This project is a reclaim and overlay and is complete.
- 237th Avenue NE/Fawn Lake Drive NE (CSAH 24) - Hwy 65 to Fawn Lake Drive NE (CSAH 76) - This project is a reclaim and overlay and is complete.
- Broadway Avenue NE (CSAH 18) - 1100' W to 1600' W of Kettle River Blvd - This project is a subgrade correction project and should be completed by the end of June.
- Bunker Lake Blvd (CSAH 116) - Pierce St NE to Hwy 65 - This project is an island median modification and scheduled for late June.
- Constance Blvd NE (CSAH 60) - 500' W of Tippecanoe St to 500' E of Tippecanoe St - This is a culvert replacement project and is scheduled to start the end of August.
- Crosstown Blvd NE (CSAH 18) - Soderville Drive NE to Lexington Avenue NE (CSAH 17) - This project is a reclaim and overlay and is scheduled to be complete by mid-June.
- Jarvis Street NW (CSAH 24) - 350' S of 213th Avenue NW to 740' N of 213th Avenue NW - - This project will provide a left turn lane to the adjacent road; it is scheduled to be complete by the end of June.
- Old Central Avenue NE (CSAH 35) - 81st Avenue to Hwy 10 - This project is a reclaim and overlay and is scheduled to start the end of June.
- Radisson Road (CSAH 52) - 105th Avenue to Naples Street NE - This project is a 2” Mill and overlay and is scheduled for early August.
- Rum River Blvd NW (CSAH 72) - 500' N of 235th Ave to 400' W of Yukon St - This project is a reclaim and overlay and is scheduled to start mid-September.
- Viking Blvd NW (CSAH 22) - Yalta Street NE to Isetta Street NE- This project turned the existing shoulder into right turn lanes for safety reasons. This project is complete.
- CSAH 18 (Crosstown Boulevard NE) from Soderville Dr NE to CSAH 17 (Lexington Avenue NE) - the contractor installed permanent pavement markings and final turf establishment.
- CSAH 7 (7th Avenue) from Buchanan Street to 600’ North of 38th Lane - the contractor removed the top 1-1/2” layer of bituminous and replaced it with new bituminous
- CSAH 24 (Jarvis Street NW) from 350' S of 213th Avenue NW to 740' N of 213th Avenue NW - the contractor has installed new culverts and is starting to grade the northeast thru lane.
- CSAH 24 (Jarvis Street NW) from 350' S of 213th Avenue NW to 740' N of 213th Avenue NW - the contractor will finish grading the new thru lane and prep for paving 2-2” lifts of bituminous
- CSAH 7 (7th Avenue) from Buchanan Street to 600’ North of 38th Lane - the contractor will install new pavement marking
Carry-Over 2020 Construction Projects
Osborne Road (CSAH 8) 4-lane to 3-lane Conversion from TH 47 to TH 65
This project involves reconfiguring the corridor from a 4-lane section to a 3-lane section with pedestrian enhancements and ADA improvements.
UPDATE - This project is substantially complete, with minor punch list items to be completed. Projected completion date is July 9th.
Hornsby Street Reconstruction and TH 97 Improvements
This project includes the realignment of Hornsby Street north of Highway 97, a new traffic control signal system at Hornsby Street and TH 97, and lane modifications on TH 97.
UPDATE - This project is 95% complete. Minor ditch work, final bituminous wear course, and pavement markings are scheduled to be completed by the end of July.